Friday, August 31, 2007

Just My Luck

Monday afternoon I arrived at the airport loaded with enough luggage for six months and for once in my life, I was calm. Chandra and I waited in line to check our luggage in and at this point, going to France was still unreal.
What made this concept less real is that our flight did not even exist! The sweet lady with an accent at the luggage desk informed us that our travel agent changed our flight and did not tell us. At this point you can imagine what is running through my mind. Just as I predicted- my luck has yet again created a complicated situation.
Here is what happened: Our travel agent booked our flight through STA Travel- who apparently sent her an email to an invalid address informing her that our flight had been changed (note to self- these things happen often with Air Canada and United, so do not rely on your travel agent to inform you). So when we were in the travel agent’s office exactly one week prior to our departure to check on our seats, she was unaware of this situation. The change was made July 6- the date at this point was August 20... She had plenty of time to determine if this was still the flight that we would be on- Blames were thrown on everyone and no one wanted to take the credit for this unfortunate event.
Long story short- the sweet lady at the luggage counter got us on another flight to Paris for 10 am the next morning, so Chandra and I rested in a hotel near the airport. It turned out to be nice to actually relax for a day-hot tub, pool, bed, awesome pillows, and free drinks. Of course, I did want to be in Paris, but waiting was the only solution-even after staying on the phone with the travel agency and STA Travel for hours trying to see if we could get compensated. We didn’t even get help for our hotel.
Oh yes, did I mention that I was sick during all of this... I had a great time getting from point A to B.

No comments: