Saturday, October 3, 2009

Re: Culture Shock

In France

My first thought was "Wow, there are so many foreigners here!" In Korea, pretty much anyone who wasn't Korean was considered a "foreigner." It was weird to be able to understand so much of the drunk yelling in the streets. It was midnight, so it was about the time that the drunk were trickling out the bars. Not so different than Korea, except it was about 1 am.

My first problem was meeting with my friend Kyle at an apartment we had rented for the weekend. Neither of us had phones, so I hoped my sense of direction would lead me to the right place. My friend Gasp picked me up from the airport and dropped me off at the apartment, so at least I knew I was at the right building. Not much I could really do now to mess things up. I entered the building and went straight for the elevator. Unfortunately, the elevator was about as narrow as an After 8 mint and as long as a scone, so squeezed my massive suitcase in, throwing my carry-on bag on top, and stuffed myself in with my life. I was to go to the fifth floor and go to the apartment on the left. I rang the doorbell, excitedly waiting for Kyle, he never responded. It was 1 am, so I was hoping he was waiting up for me. I heard footsteps in the apartment, but no one opened the door. Whoever was behind the door just looked in the peep hole and walked away.

Hmm. . .

Long story shorter. . . I was on the wrong floor. I forgot that if someone says 5th floor, this means 6th floor. In the states, what we consider the 1st floor is actually the rez-de-chaussee, and then the floor above that is the 1st floor. So in reality, I was actually on the fourth floor being a creep, ringing on the doorbell of a stranger at 1am in a "special" part of Paris. Upon realizing this, I relocated to the floor above and finally settled into the apartment.

In Korea, I picked up many mannerisms. Things that seemed different at first are now a part of my everyday routine. These things are also very different for western cultures. I have found myself bowing at strangers. In Korea I bowed when I entered an establishment, when I exited, when I met someone, when someone did something nice (as a gesture of thanks), and the list goes on. I did a lot of bowing- we'll just leave it at that. Now this is a hard habit to break! I have found myself bowing on so many different occasions, but it's akward here.

"Merci!" bow. leave. Yup, I'm awkward.

Next thing I still do is hand money to people with two hands or with my left hand under my wrist. This was a sign of respect in Korea. In France, they have special containers on the counter to place your money. At the train station, the lady yelled at me for not placing my money there rather than handing her the money. I was so confused why she was so upset.

The first step to breaking these habits is realization. I am more aware of how weird I have been, so I quickly stop myself now when I bow or when I hand money over to people.

Another cultural problem for me is my wardrobe. France is notorious for their chic fashion. Blacks, grays, neutrals flood the streets. In this river of people, one person can be spotted and thats me. Korea allowed me to find so many unique clothes in such an aray of colors. my teal tights, rainbow sorbet scarf, and pretty much everything else I have packed in my suitcase don't really go with the whole "French" fashion. I sacrificed my platinum blonde hair, but I will not get rid of my clothes. This is fine, I will still continue to wear tutus, tights in all colors, and everything else I got from Korea.

No comments: