Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Back to the Basics

When I was at the wee age of 6, I loved getting substitutes. They were virtually babysitters-we just watched movies, played with glitter, and they made sure we didn't eat the glue. Well yesterday, I met Madame Hélène. . . my substitute for the rest of the week. She is shorter and fluffier than my Madame Christine and one of the first things she warned us about was her lazy eye. . . so my initial thoughts were "this will be fun." That was also the day that I didn't finish my homework so I asked if I could turn it in tomorrow, but I lied and said "I left it in another notebook." hmm... she was fine with this as well... I don't know where my feelings of apprehension came from, but I believe it was the moment she handed out a hand-out for us to read. I was first and she passed the entire stack of papers to me. I thought I was supposed to pass the rest of them down to everyone else, but when I did not say "merci," she ripped them out of my hands and scolded me-teaching me the lesson of manners. haha So there we were... all sitting in a semi-circle, with Madame Hélène going around the room making sure that we each thanked our neighbor for giving us a piece of paper that we would work on until it was completely exhausted and work on it for homework. It is amazing how many things someone can think of to do with an article about how architects are planning on changing the world by creating new structures to conserve energy (find the words you don't understand and underline them so that we can discuss them for an hour- change the title, create a new introduction, and for homework just summarize it). I am soo over substitutes... and I think this may be a first... having a substitute, in college? hmmm
Later that afternoon, I attended Vocabulaire, and Madame Elsa is pretty much crazy. I never know what to expect, but she is so sweet. Towards the end of class, we were throwing balls of paper at eachother across the room while yelling expressions of fear in French. It was fun, a little awkward, but fun. I felt like a kid again.
Hélène and the paper balls made me realize how I am basically in elementary school. I am studying the fundamentals of French. Yes, it is difficult for me. Looking at my homework, and thinking about what I am actually working on and then looking back at the time frame that I worked on this was probably dated circa 1994. I am sure my morning phone calls to Adrien to figure out if I did the homework right are so frustrating for him. I screwed up possessive pronouns? That gets me inside time (lab assignment) while all my friends are playing on their break. Well, I guess the basic point about this is I feel like I am in elementary school-not that it is bad but it is not good either, just familiar.

Oh yea, did I mention I had the opportunity to go parapente! Basically I jumped off a mountain with a man stuck to my back and a bunch of fabric and a bag stuck to his. It was soo great! I love Grenoble!


Here are some pictures from my parapent experience (they aren't in order)

thats me flying away


taking off


Waiting


Getting ready!


That is the view that I had and those are my feet to give you a bit of perspective


This is my fantastic view of the village


This is the man stuck on my back... he was fun, I don't remember his name though

No comments: